Thursday, March 31, 2016

How To Reinforce Those Holes on Your Distressed Jeans


I must say, I LOVE holey jeans. 

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, and LOVE. 

I'm more of a practical girl, so usually I wait for my jeans to naturally become distressed. This takes a few years of wonderfully breaking them in during normal wear. Once my jeans hit the holey phase, I wear them even more. Unfortunately, from years of wear my jeans also develop holes in other more "ris-kay" places. 

My poor holey jeans don't last long before heading to the recycling pile. 

So, imagine my delight with the whole "distressed" trend!! 
(BTW, anyone else have female relatives who would balk at spending money on jeans WITH holes in them?)

Now I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, and LOVE my distressed jeans! 

But I want them to last.

Here is how I reinforce the holes (or cover them if you are modest) so my jeans will last a while.




1). Gather your supplies. All you need is a double sided fusible web (Steam-A-Seam, Heat N Bond, and Wonder Under are popular brands you can find at a large superstore or fabric store), scissors, iron, fabric, and you distressed jeans. I also use parchment paper to back everything so my iron, ironing board, and the other side of my jeans don't get dirty.
PLEASE NOTE! DO NOT TRY TO IRON YOUR DISTRESSED JEANS WHILE YOU ARE STILL WEARING THEM. 
Just a PSA, you never know.........



2) Your fusible webbing will come sandwiched between two pieces of parchment paper (if you purchased a small amount) or rolled. Cut out the amount you need. Take off one side of parchment if yours is sandwiched. 




3) Grab your fabric and put it RIGHT SIDE DOWN on the fusible web. This is the side that you want to show through your hole.


4) Cover with parchment and iron.


 5) Remove the parchment from the RIGHT SIDE of your fabric.


6) Find your distressed pants, turn them inside out, and slide a piece of parchment paper inside the leg so nothing irons through to the other side. Since my jeans are stretchy, I had to pin them open. An extra pair of hands will also work. 


 7) Trim your patch and put it RIGHT SIDE DOWN on your inside out pant leg. Iron.


8) Remove the remaining parchment and you are finished! 


9) Repeat as needed. I used a darker jean color for the holes on my knees and I used a white knit for the distressing on my thighs (just to be modest). 



To care for your patched pants, wash inside out on a cold setting. Hang to dry or dry on low heat if you are a daredevil. Remember, you ironed on those patches so a high heat will weaken the bond and negate your hard work. 

All finished! Look at those patched distressed jeans. Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment