Friday, December 16, 2011

Quick Tip: Making Your White Stay White

I recently made a Santa Riding a Tractor design.

This guy was fun to make, but I had a little dilemma. Should I do a lot of the detail in applique or embroidery? To save some time, I went with embroidery.

This causes one slight problem if you stitch Santa's white beard on anything but a white shirt. White is terrible at giving complete coverage. Just ask any 13 year old girl wearing her first white shirt since she.........................uh....................................wrong blog.

Anyway, there is an official product out there to help your embroidery design color pop. It's a permanent topper called Hide It Stabilizer.

I did not have a large area to stitch so I decided to use a little tear-away instead. Mostly since it is not a large area but I am also cheap frugal and impatient didn't want to wait for shipping.


Oh, I decided to test this out on some blue fleece too without any WSS since I ran out. Talk about the odds of this turning out well!


Before your fill stitch, lay your topper on your design.


 When you are done, carefully tear-away!


Ta-da! I even did one without to compare.


Here is without.


Now, I'm interested in getting a pack of the real permanent topper to see how well it works for other embroidery designs. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment